Thursday, November 26, 2009

New Moon


I’d have to say that I’m surprisingly satisfied with “New Moon.” After the release of Stephenie Meyer’s first novel to film, “Twilight,” I completely lost all hope for Hollywood and their ability to capture the essence of the feelings a novel conveys. I think I can speak for most “Twilight” readers in the fact that the movie did not come even close to how fantastic the novel is. For the “Twilight” film, “bland” is the word that comes to mind. But, with “New Moon,” the only word I can think to describe my feelings is “content” which is funny considering I personally thought that “New Moon” was the worst book in the saga, but far succeeded “Twilight” in the motion picture department.

If you’ve read the second installment of the “Twilight” saga, then you know that this story is the saddest of the four. Beloved, picturesque Edward, played by Robert Pattison, decides to leave the town of Forks so that he can give Bella, played by Kristen Stewart, an opportunity at a normal life. He believes that if he and Bella continue their relationship – as vampire and human – then a catastrophe will occur considering she is endangering her life every day she is around Edward and his clan because her blood offers too much of a temptation to them. So, in order to spare Bella’s life, Edward embodies the notion that “if you love something, set it free,” but does so by breaking up with Bella in the middle of a forest saying, “I don’t want you. You just don’t belong in my world, Bella.” As Bella crumples beneath the blow of rejection from the one perfect man she felt unworthy of all along, she curls up into a ball and watches the world pass by as she remains immobile. I just want to say as a side note that I was balling when I read this part in the book and, for me, Kristen Stewart really falls short in conveying the deep, distraught feelings of abandonment of her one true love. I had no tears of empathy for her in the theatre because she really isn’t believable.

Bella’s depression intensifies as the months pass with no signs of Edward’s return. When all hope seems lost and even the reality of Edward’s existence seems to fade, Bella recalls his last sentiment pleading for her not to do anything stupid or reckless. After having a close encounter with danger, Bella “sees” Edward – his face materializes – to remind her of her promise to him to be safe. In a frenzy to do more dangerous, hasty acts in order to “see” Edward more, Bella buys a couple of beat-up old motor bikes in hopes that her friend Jacob, played by Taylor Lautner, can fix them up. For the first time in months, Bella distracts herself from Edward’s abandon by immersing herself in Jacob and his ability to reconstruct her death machines. Bella’s plan works and each time she embraces an adrenaline-prone task, she sees Edward begging her to stop putting her life in danger. Though Bella spends the majority of her time with Jacob and they get closer and closer, she loves him as her best friend and does not look to replace him with Edward. On the other hand, Jacob loves Bella and waits patiently for her to give him a chance to prove that he will never hurt her like Edward did. Bella seems to be an attractor for mystical heroes though when she learns that Jacob is a shape shifter – a werewolf to be exact. Because I don’t want to give any more away, I won’t go any further on the plot line; but ultimately Bella can’t help but be pulled between her perfect vampire love, Edward and masculine, protective werewolf, Jacob.

Between the two main men, many “Twilighters” have chosen sides – either Team Edward or Team Jacob. Though on the surface, Team Edward supports Robert Pattison as one of the hottest men alive, it also represents the notion of love at first sight and the belief in men being perfect and true gentlemen. On the other hand, Team Jacob backs up Taylor Lautner as being jaw-droppingly gorgeous as well as represents the idea that love develops through initial friendship and blossoms into a deeper, more passionate form of love. I have to say that I fully support Taylor Lautner taking on the role as Jacob. He is sexy, drop-dead gorgeous and completely ripped. I have to admit though that I am a Team Jacob supporter; I think I’m a sucker though for tall, dark, handsome, completely masculine men who begin as the underdog and emerge as a real fighter for true love that is rooted in a friendship of understanding rather than instant infatuation. Between the two types of guys, every girl has her preference. So ladies, pick your side – Team Edward or Team Jacob.

One thing that I think is interesting in “New Moon” is the emphasis of aging. Our society focuses so much on anti-aging that the emphasis on remaining young seems like a ridiculous endeavor. Bella finds herself surrounded by two men who are timeless. They will never become old or decrepit; they will always remain beautiful while she will inevitably keep accumulating years and wrinkles. The only way that Bella can remain young is if Edward will transform her into a vampire which will rob her of her humanity, but will give her the everlasting beauty she desires. Doesn’t that seem a little messed up? With age does come wrinkles, but wisdom and life should come with age as well. Our society shouldn’t fear that, it should embrace it.

From my disappointment in “Twilight” to my contentment in “New Moon,” there is a little bit of my faith restored in directors trying to breathe life into novels through film. Even though “New Moon” was my least favorite novel, it trumps “Twilight” – the film – ten-fold. Even if you haven’t read the novels, I think this movie would be enjoyed by any female – I’m not going to make that guarantee for guys though. Two hott, shirtless men would probably make any guy a little intimidated.

No comments:

Post a Comment